- Organic zucchini
- Organic oil (choose a neutral oil like canola oil)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the zucchini to make sure it’s dirt-free.
- After the zucchini is rinsed and clean, slice very thinly into small, circular rounds. If you own one, a mandolin slicer is a great tool for making even, thin slices. Whether a mandolin slicer or a knife is used, please be very careful cutting the zucchini so thinly!
- Place one piece of aluminum foil over a cookie sheet. (You may need two cookie sheets.)
- Gently oil the foil. If you have an oil mister, please use that. If not, place a little oil on a paper towel and gently wipe it over the foil.
- Layer the zucchini slices in a single layer on the foil. Their edges can be touching, but do not overlap the zucchini.
- Cook for 60 minutes, rotating the baking sheets half-way through. Chips should be a light golden-brown color when done.
Tip: These chips are naked, but feel free to season with black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ginger powder, or any dried herbs. Try as is for a very low-calorie snack, or dip into hummus.
Storage: Be sure to store in an air-tight container!
Nutritional Information: (per ¼ c. serving) 14 calories, 0.3 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.7 mg sodium, 2.4 g carbohydrates, 0.9 g fiber, 2.7 g sugar, 1 g protein
As a type of summer squash, zucchini is rich in vitamin C, molybdenum, vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin B2, potassium, folate, fiber, magnesium, vitamin A, phosphorus,vitamin K, vitamin B1, tryptophan, copper, vitamin B3, protein, and omega-3 fats. Research on the health benefits of zucchini and other summer squashes aren’t as well-researched as other foods, but they seem to be a great source of antioxidants, especially other antioxidants like the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which can help protect the eyes. Because of various nutrition benefits, like the plethora of B vitamins and fiber, zucchini can have a helpful blood sugar regulating effect. Other research suggests zucchini may aid in anti-inflammatory benefits, antimicrobial protection, anti-cancer benefits, and prostate health support.
[highlight]Enjoy this post? Please share with your friends and family![/highlight][pinterest count=”horizontal” float=”left”]