It’s COLD out there! I think most of the country right now is feeling the brunt of winter from a big cold front that’s passing through.
So, I thought I would share a new chicken soup recipe that we just created using fresh rosemary and basil that’s growing in our garden. These fresh herbs + the garlic are the backbone of the flavor in this healthy soup.
Healthy Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
Serves 4 – 5…so, adjust ingredient quantities as needed
- 3 stalks celery
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 leek
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 – 3 yellow squash
- 15oz Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Puree (San Marzano, if possible…also, you can substitute this for crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 lemon
- 4-5 chicken thighs
- 4-5 chicken legs
- 8 cups fresh water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 spring fresh rosemary
- 8 – 10 fresh basil leafs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Clean and wash the chicken thighs and legs, set aside. Wash and chop all of the fresh vegetables, and set aside. Smash the garlic (using the side of your knife or your hand) and remove the outer skin.
- In a big soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat. Add in the chopped: yellow onion, celery, carrots, leek and the smashed garlic. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Let this sauté in the pan for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Once, the onions start to get translucent, add in the chicken thighs and legs. Season these with a pinch of sea salt and peper…and, let them cook with the vegetables for about 2 minutes. Just to start the cooking process.
- Pour in 8 cups of fresh water and add in all of the herbs: 1/2 rosemary sprig, 8 – 10 basil leaves, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and another good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Also, add in the chopped yellow squash (if added too early, they turn to mush) and the whole peeled tomatoes and puree (you can breakup the whole tomatoes using your hands).
- Adjust the heat of your stove and bring the soup to a simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. You want the chicken cooked through and the vegetables softened, but not mush.
- At the very end, when the chicken and veg are done cooking, add lemon juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon.
You can serve this with a side of Farro or brown rice to make it a complete, hearty meal 🙂
Enjoy and stay warm this winter!!